Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-22-2004, 04:39 AM   #1  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craft Fair Set UP

It's getting to be that time of the year again that some of us will be selling our stamping items at school fairs. I will be able to have use of a six ft. table. At the moment I have all my individual cards in baskets but somehow I will have to do something with them to organize them for selling so the customers can look through them quickly and be able to choose and buy. I am making notebooks, pens, candles, etc. and they many of the items will either be packaged in clear cello bags or they will have decorated boxes or bags to put them in for gift giving. I have no idea how I am going to display these items on my table. I want it to look nice but I don't want to spend a lot of money. I bought a white tablecloth which was suggested by someone. I also would like to know what you use for a bag when the purchase something to bring it home in. I would love to hear from other crafters that have already did this and can share what they did. Also if anyone has pictures of your set up that would even be more helpful. I so much appreciate your help as I'm getting nervous that my table will look yucky. Thanks to all who do respond to this. Carol
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 04:43 AM   #2  
Kookie Creator

I was thinking of just recycling my old supermarket bags. I don't know if that is okay or not....I also heard of someplace where you can buy nice paper bags w/pretty designs on it, online...but haven't found them yet.
I am doing my first craft fair in November....I am just starting to prepare!

Now I have a question....

DO you leave your cards loose or pkg bunches of them in a cello bag or do both...ie for sets...singles...etc...I am worried about dirty fingers....

"I Stamp, therefore I am!"....

http://www.jenniferuitto.stampinup.net/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 04:51 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I just did a craft fair this past weekend and packaged my cards in the large cello bags. So I didn't have people opening them, I took pictures of what cards were in the pack and showed the customer if they were interested. Seemed to work well...

Tiffany
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 04:52 AM   #4  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sam's Club sells packages of what are called "T-Shirt Bags" that are standard handled thin plastic grocery bags that say "Thank You" on them.

As far as cards, you could put a sample (encased in a clear envelope) on a board for them to look at and when they make their selection you can pull the card from your stock if you are worried about bent and fingered cards.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 04:53 AM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I'm getting ready to do a craft fair in November and would as well appreciate the input.
I would also like to know approximately how many cards I should plan on having on hand ready to sell.
TIA
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 04:55 AM   #6  
Matboard Maniac

Default Craft Fairs

For bags, why not just use paper lunch bags that you've stamped using the wheels? Simple and cheap.

I did learn something that other may not know about fairs. If you set up as a SU Demonstrator to promote your business (sell catalogs; take orders; sell gift certificates or any retired SU products) you CANNOT sell your homemade products. You are either a crafter selling your products OR you are a SU Demonstrator selling your business -- we can't do both. If you are selling yourself as a Demonstrator, you must submit your booth layout for SU approval (takes about 5 days) or use their 200.00 Show on the Go kit. I am borrowing the SU banner from my upline; made my own tablecloth; neighbor is making me a black display board and I'm buying a plastic display for catalogs from Office Depot. My cost: 25.00 vs. 200.00 (no contest in my opinion

I'm going to sell catalogs (current and retired); gift certificates for 25.00 for up to six people to attend a beginner, intermediate or advanced stamping class; gift certificates for product as well as having a raffle for a stamp kit which will give me contact information. I will also of course book workshops. To draw people to the table, I'll be asking if I can stamp them a free card. I'll do that on the spot to 'wow' them with how simple it is to create a work of art and of course, the card will have my label on back.
Jeremiah 29:11
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 06:01 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

The best advice I can give you for setting up your booth is make it cute. You want to draw them in with cuteness and color. Try using different baskets and shelving so you have lots of layers going on. Make a banner and smile, smile, smile.

Go as far as you can see, and when you get there, you will see farther.
ScrappinGallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 08:27 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Default craft fair

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrappinGoodTime
The best advice I can give you for setting up your booth is make it cute. You want to draw them in with cuteness and color. Try using different baskets and shelving so you have lots of layers going on. Make a banner and smile, smile, smile.
I agree. I have a friend that is a prop queen. She helped me decorate.
I sold 300 dollars worth of cards and such. I used old fabrics to decorate tables. I used baskets, old suitcases and tins to put cards in. A samll decorated Christmas tree complete with old tree skirt for Christmas themed items. She even had an old fireplace screen that she had covered with foam and fabric to pin things on. I seperated cards in categories and decorated the tables accordingly, to go with the theme. I used old wooden boxes with the fabric draped across them to get the different levels. Also, don't forget to get an old oval rug for the ground to make the buyer seem right at home.
I had 2005 calendars, menopausal survival kits, magnets. You can look at my gallery for these ideas. I sold calendars and magnets for 1.50. Menopausal survival kits, post-it note holders, small note pads, and A2 size cards for $2.00.
The sale was Friday evening, All day Sat. and 1-5 on Sunday.
This was a first annual deal so it was only $10.00 to set up for the entire time. If they charged more, I probably would have to charge a little more.
I wish I had a picture, but I forgot to take a camera.
As far as packaging, I take sandwich ziplock bags, cut the ziplock off. Fold over and tape down over the card and envelope. Card fits perfect. If I do put a saying on the inside, I either stamp (if I used a stamp) or make and extra copy of the saying to cut out and put in the bag. I have the card showing for the front. When you turn card over, you should have the decorated envelope showing with the copy of the saying on top.(This is the side the tape is on). I also used clear envelopes to put my calendars in, but I do not seal the envelopes. I just fold over and tuck in the tab.
I hope this helps someone. I have to get busy and yard sale to find my own props for next year.
I also use plastic treat bags that you can find marked down after the holidays to use for sold items. I had quite a few Happy Halloween ones that worked great for this time of year.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 08:46 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

stampingsinger WOW! Your set up sounds so cool and $300 that's a double wow! How many cards did you take to sell? Did you do better on individual cards or bundles? What was your best selling item?

TIA,
Tasha

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 09:36 AM   #10  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampinginsc
stampingsinger WOW! Your set up sounds so cool and $300 that's a double wow! How many cards did you take to sell? Did you do better on individual cards or bundles? What was your best selling item?

TIA,
Tasha
I don't have any idea how many cards I had. I had been making and saving for over a year. I had some packaged cards(simply made), but they did not sell. I may have sold one set. However, I forgot to mention, I had signs for buy 5 cards and get one free. I sold a lot of 6 that way. I would have some who would pick up 4 cards. I would tell them, if you buy one more you get one free. That helped too. I had a good variety. Some had sayings, some did not. Just a good variety of all. I really don't know what sold the best. I just sold an overall variety of everything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 09:58 AM   #11  
Stazon Splitcoast

restaurant supply stores carry varied sizes of white bags which look great stamped...you received some great ideas...wish I had some of those last week at the fair I worked...I too sold a mixture of items and cant really focus on anything that went especially well...oh, just thought of one thing...halloween lollipop holders w/ lollipop attached... I used tricky treats on a sizzix tag...I didnt think they were that great, but everyone loved them...maybe b/c they were cheap! I think it helps to limit the variety of items...I had quite a lot of different things (too many ideas floating around in my head that I just HAD to try!)...I think it gets overwhelming for people to look at and decide from...stick with just a few ideas and you'll do fine! Also, I like to put seasonal flowers on the table...gives it a homey look and attracts people b/c it looks pretty...
lots of luck! :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 11:31 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

I was wondering if tying a couple balloons on each table end would be a little obnoxious at a craft fair. I'm just doing a little craft fair, but was trying to think of ways to make the table stand out.
Would balloons be considered "bad etiquette"? :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 11:36 AM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

I wouldn't think so...as long as it is not windy and they dont bonk people in the noggin!! The only reason I mention it, is b/c the fair I did last week was outside, on top of a hill (outside an office building) and it was sooooo windy, I kept worrying things would blow over! Good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 11:47 AM   #14  
Stampin' Fool

Default Craft Fairs

After reading "stampingsinger's" post on this I'm even more overwhelmed. There is no way I could set up even close to that. I just don't have the room in my condo to store those items for setting up. Also this is only a one day fair in an elementary school for a few hrs. I appreciate all the responses so far and I'll be able to use some of the ideas. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 12:01 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

My Aunt does about 6-7 craft shows a year and so I put some individual cards, a few boxed sets, magnets etc in with her stuff over the weekend and made $100. This was the first one so it more than covered the supplies (not counting stamps or ink, I don't count those in my cost, I'd have them anyway) which I didn't think was too bad for a first shot. Anyway, she uses the plain plastic storage bags(not ziploc type) they are good because they are clear, inexpensive and everyone can see what they bought. We just tied a knot in them so they had a little handle. The other think I thought was a good idea was plain handled paper bags and then put a sticker with the information on the bag. I would stamp a 3x4 label and then print my contact information on it. You could do that on the clear storage bags also.

The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 02:22 PM   #16  
Kookie Creator

Default Craft Fair Setup

Carol,
Don't get too overwhelmed. :?
Just get a simple tablecloth, an old bed sheet, pillow case, or some cheap marked down fabric. Walmart carries fabric for $1. to $2. a yard, and a few square or rectangler baskets, metal tins or other containers you may have around the house. If you have a local goodwill or salvation army these items are usally cheap. If you don't have a room to store you can donate them back. Be creative. Maybe you could prop them up on a stack of books you have around the house or something. I had just tried to sell some the year before and had them in plastic containers. I set up for 3 days and didn't sell one card.
Linda
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 02:29 PM   #17  
Compulsive Stamper

Last year was my first season doing craft fairs (I did 6) and my husband built me some awesome rotating displays. Huge wood boxes covered in black fabric that we attached the cards to. We had one for vertical cards and one for horizontal cards. It was cheap and got the cards very "in your face." I can send you pictures if you would like to make some too. That was all we had (each display holds about 80 cards), plus a table cloth and a big basket of free CANDY! Good luck and don't stress, it's lot of fun. This year I am only doing 3 (I just had a baby) so we will see how it goes!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-22-2004, 02:47 PM   #18  
Mad Swapper

I would love to see a picture! I have done craft fairs in the past with my homemade candels, so this will be my first one selling cards and gifts. I need all the help I can get too!

Thanks,

Cathy B.
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 04:26 PM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Default Re: Craft Fair set-up

I'm probably responding too late but I've just started doing craft fairs and tried to do a lot of research as to set-up etc. In regards to color, it turns out that white is not a good selling color for cards (they blend in). I read a lot of color psychology and found out that blue is the favorite color of the majority of people in the US and many associate purple with good thoughts. I had a navy blue tablecloth with a little ribbing on it as my main focus table. I bought plastic crates from Staples and put two together (on a six foot table), placed an old piece of wood on it and covered with another blue tablecloth. Things sell better when they are at eye level and you want to draw peoples eyes in. I used purple accents which included small clear vases (1.00 ea at Michaels) which I filled with violet and light blue silk flowers and filled the vases with bermuda blue sand. In the middle of my "tier" I bought a deep purple salad pfaltzgraft plate, a deep purple candle, and placed purple stones (flower aisle. Michaels) around the candle. It looked nice and smelled good too!
I then placed lighter blue cloth napkins on my tier and on the other section of my table.
For stock, I had cards, bookmarks, tags, coffee bags, and gift bags in various shapes and sizes of baskets. I enclosed all the single cards and card sets in clear self-adhesible bags (associatedbag.com - twenty-something dollars for 1000 bags). People could handle them without touching them and you see inside the bag very easily.
I think I would also like to get a collapsible bakers rack to display items alongside the table but that will have to wait for now.
Sorry this is so long.
Laura
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 05:32 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Default craft fair

I'm trying my first one soon, too. Great info here, ladies! Thanks.
I'm planning on using wastepaper liner bags from the dollar store, the ones I have are lavender color. I am using my sons small toddler sized wooden bookshelves to display non card items. They are small enough to put on top of the table and they stack on one another to make a mini bookcase. A wooden stepstool might be useful too as a tabletop display. I'll run a table runner over it after it gets a good cleaning.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 05:51 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I like a piece of black cloth over my table. I think the black helps make the cards stand out more and makes them look classier. I place some small boxes under the cloth so that I have some different levels. I have some card "trees" that I display cards in and then just set a bunch out on the table. I put duplicates in small baskets. Other items are set out at different levels all over the table. I keep thinking it might look nice to add some white Christmas lights around the table.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 05:55 PM   #22  
Cupcake Queen

Default Where do you find these craft shows?

I seriously would like to do one, but all the ones I can find charge like $300 to have a table.

HELP,
Amanda in AZ
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-15-2004, 06:59 PM   #23  
Stampin' Fool

Default Craft Fair Set Up

I just thought I would let you all know that I have a picture of my set up in my gallery if you would like to see it. I did a practice run in my living room. Some of the things I changed since that picture is I took my indiv. cards out of those clear boxes and put them in baskets. My husband hung the magnetic board on the side of one of the crates. I hung a piece of twine from the top of one crate to the top of the other and hung some of my sample cards with clothespins. I added another box in the back for more height. I'll let you know after Sat. how things go. Carol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amanda_Sewell
I seriously would like to do one, but all the ones I can find charge like $300 to have a table.

HELP,
Amanda in AZ
check the local schools & lodges etc my community is doing one and it's free. A school here is charging $35 and a lodge is charging $10
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-10-2005, 06:41 PM   #25  
Cards for a Cause Hostess

Default Displaying Cards at a Craft Fair

If you are in a corner, put a piece of ribbon from one end of the wall to the other and clip the cards using clothes pins. You can also decorate the clothes pins with a laminated stamp then cut and hot glue to the clothes pin, on the back of the clothes pin add a magnet. They can also be sold as refridgerator magnets.

If you are not in a corner sting along ribbon on the from of your table and sting along with clothes pins using the same idea as above. Hope this helps! :0)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2005, 07:56 AM   #26  
Kookie Creator

This thread is very useful thank you - I did my first sale back in Aug and was concerned my table looked a bit boring (fortunately there were no other card sellers so I didn't have to compete for attention). I am doing two more in November so this has given me plenty of food for thought thank you

Pootle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-11-2005, 09:46 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Had to chuckle at this one in light of the recent thread about newbies resurrecting old topics -- the last post in this bad boy before it showed up again was over a YEAR ago! :p

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"

Last edited by row4d; 10-11-2005 at 09:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #28  
Mad Swapper

All ideas are fantastic. Just a question though, what do you think about putting the cards in several binders so they can look through it and then if they like it pick it and the card is still pristine. Have not done craft fair but thinking of doing one so I was just wondering. Also I have lots of envelopes how about letting them choose which envelope they want. Is that too much thinking for them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 05:37 PM   #29  
Glitter Queen

Smile Re:Craft Fair Set Up

WOW!!! There is so much helpful information from all of you. I will be having my first craft fair at my job. They supply the table for free and whatever we make we keep. I have gone to the dollar store and bought the table cloth and the flowers and vases to decorate my table with. I only have one question...how much do you sell your cards for? :confused: I was thinking $5.00 for individual cards, packs of 5 cards for $20.00, calendars are $10.00 for a hanging calendar and $8.00 for a desk top calendar, Christmas gift tags will be $2.00. Are these prices okay? I welcome any feedback that anyone has.

Thank you
Kimmie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-23-2007, 10:19 PM   #30  
Rubber Obsessor

I want to do some altered clipboards and was wondering what I should charge for them. I know it varies alot depending on how much stuff you put on one but need a ballpark figure. Also what is the best adhesive to attach cork squares to a clipboard?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 07:35 AM   #31  
Embossing Fanatic

Wow and I bummed to hear this

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaurenStamps60View Post
For bags, why not just use paper lunch bags that you've stamped using the wheels? Simple and cheap.

I did learn something that other may not know about fairs. If you set up as a SU Demonstrator to promote your business (sell catalogs; take orders; sell gift certificates or any retired SU products) you CANNOT sell your homemade products. You are either a crafter selling your products OR you are a SU Demonstrator selling your business -- we can't do both. If you are selling yourself as a Demonstrator, you must submit your booth layout for SU approval (takes about 5 days) or use their 200.00 Show on the Go kit. I am borrowing the SU banner from my upline; made my own tablecloth; neighbor is making me a black display board and I'm buying a plastic display for catalogs from Office Depot. My cost: 25.00 vs. 200.00 (no contest in my opinion

I'm going to sell catalogs (current and retired); gift certificates for 25.00 for up to six people to attend a beginner, intermediate or advanced stamping class; gift certificates for product as well as having a raffle for a stamp kit which will give me contact information. I will also of course book workshops. To draw people to the table, I'll be asking if I can stamp them a free card. I'll do that on the spot to 'wow' them with how simple it is to create a work of art and of course, the card will have my label on back.
Boy am I bummed to hear this. I just signed up as a SU demonstrator yesterday. I am in charge of a craft fair Nov. 10th and have been working on items to sell at the fair. When I signed up ( I did not plan on doing this, till just this past week) I thought great I thought I can just add being a demonstrator to what I was doing. OH Well!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 07:46 AM   #32  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by darmitchellView Post
Boy am I bummed to hear this. I just signed up as a SU demonstrator yesterday. I am in charge of a craft fair Nov. 10th and have been working on items to sell at the fair. When I signed up ( I did not plan on doing this, till just this past week) I thought great I thought I can just add being a demonstrator to what I was doing. OH Well!
Actually, I believe this policy has changed. This thread was started a while ago and at that time it was true. But, as I said, I think it's changed. My suggestion to you would be to call or e-mail demonstrator services and ask them for the correct information. You could also look in the demonstrator manual to get the info.

Good luck!
Stampin' Up! demo and lovin' it!

SCS member #30822
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 07:47 AM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by darmitchellView Post
That post was written 3 years ago. Check with SU on this.

View my BLOG
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 08:59 AM   #34  
Embossing Fanatic

ok...thanks. I am totally new at this and quite lost if you haven't noticed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-24-2007, 09:11 AM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Ladies..... I didn't even reallize there was a date in the left hand corner saying when it was posted. I saw it, just never sunk in.

I did find out that the rule stated above no longer applies. It change two years ago to selling and being a demonstrator.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2007, 09:10 PM   #36  
Kookie Creator

Thanks ladies for all the great information -- although this post was started in 2004, most of the information is timeless. Great ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

Oh wonderful ideas. TFS!
Malisa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-25-2009, 05:46 AM   #38  
Cardstock Collector

Default do you have a picture of the display?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlamogirlView Post
Last year was my first season doing craft fairs (I did 6) and my husband built me some awesome rotating displays. Huge wood boxes covered in black fabric that we attached the cards to. We had one for vertical cards and one for horizontal cards. It was cheap and got the cards very "in your face." I can send you pictures if you would like to make some too. That was all we had (each display holds about 80 cards), plus a table cloth and a big basket of free CANDY! Good luck and don't stress, it's lot of fun. This year I am only doing 3 (I just had a baby) so we will see how it goes!
do you have a picture of the display?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #39  
Rubber Obsessor

I can't believe this thread has been circulating for five years. Just goes to show what is old is new.

My two cents added...For my first craft show I covered my table with a beautiful white damask tablecloth. The next show black tablecloths were provided. Everyone agreed the dark color was so much better than white. No need for anything special, just a dark cover. The cards showed up so much better on the dark background.

Next I would suggest as much at eye level as possible. Just like in the supermarket. I use different sized boxes and stack them with larger ones on the bottom. Nothing special, shoe boxes work fine. I cover each box with a colorful cloth napkin.

I also use a large easel with a poster board high-lighting some of my items for sale. I use the computer to print info with large letters so it would be neat and visible at a distance. I also include a scanned picture of some of the items as well as items themselves.

I have a tall vase of flowers on the corner of the table just to add a little class.

My cards are displayed on small plate holders. It is a lot easier to see the cards standing up instead of laying flat on the table.

I keep some business cards in a business card holder in the corner of the table, in case some on wants one. I also put one in the bag with the purchase.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-26-2009, 10:10 PM   #40  
Insane Embellisher

Default Here's my setup

I';ve attached a few photos of my setup.
I used a black tablecloth to cover the tables.

More photos on my blog
http://www.moonlightstamper.com/blog/craft-fair-display
Attached Thumbnails
Craft Fair Set UP-craft1.jpg  

http://www.moonlightstamper.com/blog
Reply With Quote Likes