Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-17-2004, 03:18 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rules for selling cards with SU stamp used on them

Can anybody tell me the rules and regulations on using SU stamps and then selling the cards or other products at craft shows. Thanks
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 03:22 PM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Here's a link with the complete Angel Policy:
http://www.stampinup.com/web2001/AngelPolicy.asp
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 03:23 PM   #3  
Abbe-licious

you need one of the angel policy stamps on the back of whatever you make, they are in the book I think you get 4 different ones for $11.95.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 05:21 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Thanks for your help..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 05:33 PM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

I should send a gal this web site of SU's rules and regulations. She borrows my sets and sells the cards at her hairdressers'!!!!! AND she doesn't use any kind of angel stamp in the back!!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 06:02 PM   #6  
The Amazin' Yappin' Scrapper

Default hairdressers??

Isn't that considered a "fixed retail location"? 2 of my SILs wanted me to make cards for a shop they're considering opening, and I told them I could, as long as I DON'T use my SU! stamps. They were fine with that. I don't want to lose my demonstratorship over something like that! I made sure I knew what the rules were before I answered their request.
:shock:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 06:14 PM   #7  
Matboard Maniac

Am I suppose to do something if I see someone using SU! sets for cards to sell without the angel stamp on the back and who do I contact?
Of course I would talk to the person first and bring the copy right policy to their attention. But if they don't seem to care should I report them?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 06:22 PM   #8  

I'm wondering this myself, as I know of a demo in the area that's selling her cards in a scrapbooking store--go figure???? she does a lot of other stuff, too, that I personally don't think a demo should be doing, but if I turn her in, she'll know it was me......or at least think it was me????
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 06:24 PM   #9  
Matboard Maniac

Does the angel policy apply to those of us who are not demonstrators? I am going to sell cards at a craft fair, and I am not sure. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 06:27 PM   #10  

Quote:

Originally Posted by debbins
Does the angel policy apply to those of us who are not demonstrators?
Yep, the angel policy applies to anyone who wants to sell their cards using SU! images.

HTH, Jen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:15 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

It is my understanding that everyone must use an angel stamp when selling stuff with SU stamped images, but a non-demo can sell stuff in a premanent location(i.e.hair salon).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 07:29 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok question. My neighbor owns a video store and sells the gift cards. She wants me to make cards for her to put the gift cards in. She is going to sell the cards for $2-$3 a piece and give me the money. Can i do that as long as I have the angel policy on the back? Her neighbor owns a baby boutique can I make cards for her too? She would just sell the cards with gifts and have them on display. I just need clarification. Oh and what if I do not use all SU stamps on the card's? Yes these are permanent locations.

Stormy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-17-2004, 08:23 PM   #13  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by halfcrazywth3
Yes these are permanent locations.
That killed it right there. No on both counts. You can still make the gift card holders, just as long as you don't use any SU! stamps. Check the policies of other companies if you decide to use different brands, though. Some companies are less restrictive than SU!, while others are even tougher. Be especially careful of mixing brands, as some companies prohibit using their images in conjunction with others.

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 05:14 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh my gosh! I thought it was ok b/c my neighbor told me that an SU person did sell her cards there. She said that she bought them from her for what girl would charge and then turn around and sell them for what she paid. (I hope I explained that right). So that it not kosher wither. Ok I need to find a new game plan. Thank you so much for the info!!!

Stormy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 05:28 AM   #15  
Forum Fanatic

Actually, the term Permanent Location means if you are leaving your cards there and selling them, not if the location you are in is a permanent structure. If you go to the hair salon for a cut and sell cards while there, you are not in violation of any policy. I mean, think about it. A craft fair at a school ~ the school is a permanent location, the craft fair isn't, you being there isn't, that's why we can sell while we are there. So, no, you cannot leave your cards out anywhere especially a scrapbooking store to sell them.

Here's a twist. What about coasters? Have you ever tried to stamp on the bottom of some of the tiles? And what about magnets and dominos that are too small to stamp on?

The angel policy is definitely confusing. Would I "bust" someone if they didn't have a stamp on the back, no, but I'd let them know they should. Would I say something if someone mixed images from SU and CTMH ~ Heck yeah!! That's a double violation. Something needs to be said in that instance. It's confusing because non-demos seem to think they don't have to comply, which just isn't true.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 06:26 AM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Here's a twist. What about coasters? Have you ever tried to stamp on the bottom of some of the tiles? And what about magnets and dominos that are too small to stamp on?
I had called DS about this about a while ago. You need to have the angel stamp with the item. You can create a tag, or include the angel stamp on the packaging. So, in the case of earrings, charms, dominos, etc, you can just include the stamped image with the item, not necesarily on the item itself.

SCS just keeps getting better and better!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 06:38 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
Actually, the term Permanent Location means if you are leaving your cards there and selling them, not if the location you are in is a permanent structure. If you go to the hair salon for a cut and sell cards while there, you are not in violation of any policy. I mean, think about it. A craft fair at a school ~ the school is a permanent location, the craft fair isn't, you being there isn't, that's why we can sell while we are there. So, no, you cannot leave your cards out anywhere especially a scrapbooking store to sell them.
Someone posted here a while ago that they were told by SU! that a hair salon is a permanent retail location and so handmade cards can't be sold there. Doesn't the "permanent" part refer to the retail function of the space, and not the duration of the card display?

My Stampin' Up! blog
"I'm a time traveler -- I point and laugh at archaeologists." 10th Doctor, "Silence in the Library"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 06:54 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

Let me ask a question here

I have been "contracted" to do card sets for people to give as gifts so in effect I am not breaking any policies in selling my cards to a specific person. And I do use an angel policy stamp ( also do this on my coasters, haven't figured out how to do it with my ornaments and candles)

BUT lets say that Person A contracts me to do a set of 20 note cards for a fixed amount. I sell directly to her - she then goes and displays the cards and sells them at her shop with a markup (I.E. I sell her cards at $1.50 a piece and she ends up selling them for $2.00)

I have no control over what someone does with the cards once they leave my hands because once that person pays me they become her property. This is a far different scenerio than someone knowing selling cards or items in a fixed retail location.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 07:18 AM   #19  
Glitter Queen

OK, here is a twist. Can I put a few samples in a salon with a contact list (name, address and phone#)? I am not selling the cards there, but I can contact the customers that is interested in ordering cards at a later time and take the order over the phone.

Kris
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 07:39 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by row4d
Quote:

Someone posted here a while ago that they were told by SU! that a hair salon is a permanent retail location and so handmade cards can't be sold there. Doesn't the "permanent" part refer to the retail function of the space, and not the duration of the card display?
By that rule then you have to be outside where ever you want to sell something. I was told as long as there isn't a permanent display at a location and you only sell while you are there, then it's okay. And lets not even debate whether a salon is a retail location or a service location. You don't always by product, you buy service. So is it considered a retail location? Not in my state. Call ds three times, you'll get three different answers and with the right knowledge, you can confuse the heck out of them.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 08:18 AM   #21  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenmouer
Let me ask a question here

I have been "contracted" to do card sets for people to give as gifts so in effect I am not breaking any policies in selling my cards to a specific person. And I do use an angel policy stamp ( also do this on my coasters, haven't figured out how to do it with my ornaments and candles)

BUT lets say that Person A contracts me to do a set of 20 note cards for a fixed amount. I sell directly to her - she then goes and displays the cards and sells them at her shop with a markup (I.E. I sell her cards at $1.50 a piece and she ends up selling them for $2.00)

I have no control over what someone does with the cards once they leave my hands because once that person pays me they become her property. This is a far different scenerio than someone knowing selling cards or items in a fixed retail location.

To Answer your question, I think if you have KNOWLEDGE that this is the intention of the person you are selling to then you would be in violation. I don't think it would have to be proved beyond reasonable doubt that you had knowledge. If you know that Person A has a shop and has placed an order with you for a variety of cards, I think you can safely assume that they plan on reselling them. But if person A orders just one kind of card, say a bridal shower invite, then it could be assumed they are for personal use. JMO vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 08:42 AM   #22  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Would I say something if someone mixed images from SU and CTMH ~ Heck yeah!! That's a double violation.
Ok, to be honest, I had never heard of CTMH until I joined SCS. But I had no idea it was a violation. So what is the rule here? You are not allowed to mix those images on a card to sell? Is that for demos or anyone?

Another question...can a non-demo sell their cards in a permanent location?

Just to clarify, I only own SU stamps. I have a small shoebox full of others that I bought like 10 years ago that are somewhere in my garage in the attic) I am a very loyal SU user. Of course I am a demo, so I think that is all the more reason to. But i just love SU.

Also, I've only done one craft fair as a crafter and after reading some posts here I know that I broke the rules. BUT, now I know. I am certainly glad that noone reported me because I had no idea. So having not known that I was doing something wrong myself, I would suggest that if you see someone breaking these rules, confront them first. If they continue, absolutely report them. As for me, I have decided not to go as a crafter to any more of these events. It was too much work and nothing to show for it. And since i don't know all the rules I would rather just go as a demo. I always do well in that kind of setting.

Mother of three wonderful children (Brayton-17 months, Brianna- 5 & Kyle-eight) and one grown man (my DH).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 08:51 AM   #23  
Mad Swapper

I am a demo and have a customer that has made comments about selling cards. I have told her that she needs to put the copywrite stamp on the back and for the non-SU stamps she might want to check their policies too.
Here's the question...What will happen if she does sell the cards at a fixed location even after I have told her the policy? If someone 'catches' her, what will anyone do to her? She's a customer, not a demo, so no one can take away her demonstratorship, I can't imagine that anyone would sue her either.
Kelli
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 10:30 AM   #24  
Forum Fanatic

The CTMH and SU cross thing when selling has to do with, I believe, when you stamp the back with "Copywrite SU". SU can't copywrite CTMH images. I know I read it somewhere that you can't do it and sell the items. Posting here would be different, but as for selling it's only supposed to be one company or the other.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 10:45 AM   #25  

Dumb question, but what does CTMH stand for?

Can you mix images as long as the cards are NOT for sale?

Just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 10:49 AM   #26  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenbish

Close To My Heart

You can do whatever you want if you aren't selling or demonstrating the cards. It is only when you sell items you aren't supposed to mix and match companies.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 10:52 AM   #27  

Okay--still never heard of the company. Makes sense, though when discussing selling. I'm doing cards for a craft show with my upline and she was very specific that my cards be made with ALL SU! products, no non-SU! embellishments, and that they are made from current sets.

She also sent me an angel stamp for the back of them. I have 250 done towards my goal of 550-600--by Thanksigivng weekend! No wonder my shoulders are sore :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 11:31 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

I understand where your upline is coming from, but for a craft show I would allow retired sets. It might make the cards sell better if people knew they couldn't just go buy the set and make them themselves. I'm also not as hardnosed about embellishments. If SU doesn't make it, add it if you want. If SU makes it, it has to be SU. Exception being White Grossgrain. I have 3 rolls and it looks just like SU.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 12:57 PM   #29  

I don't mind her "restrictions". I took it as more of a challenge of how creative I could be with what I have

It will all work out the way it's supposed to, is my philosophy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 02:59 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenbish

Close To My Heart

You can do whatever you want if you aren't selling or demonstrating the cards. It is only when you sell items you aren't supposed to mix and match companies.
It is my understanding that as long as you include all copyright info of each company that you use on your cards you can mix and match as much as you want. I have made cards using SU and Hero Arts together and put both copyright info on the back. This is a great site for copyright info on a lot of different stamp companies http://www.littlebit.com/angelList/a...policyonly.htm
Vicki
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 03:12 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

When you are presenting yourself as a craftman at a craft fair I do not think it matters if you use reitred SU sets, or non-SU embellishments!

Just be sure to follow the angel policy!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 05:32 PM   #32  
Rubber Obsessor

When it comes to a craft fair, you are either a demonstrator or a crafter. As a crafter you can make or use any products you wish, you just have to give credit where credit is due and follow the angel policies of the artwork. You do not have to use all SU products(I don't know why you wouldn't--the quality doesn't compare) because you are not selling as a demostrator. You also cannot promote your business while you are a crafter at a fair.

The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-18-2004, 06:23 PM   #33  
Hardware Hotshot

hypothetically (seriously, I mean hypothetically), what happens if someone who is in SU non-compliance, what happens to her if she's a demo or if she's not a demo????

Wanda
Reply With Quote Likes