Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 07-16-2004, 06:27 AM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stamping on tile help!

Ok..I got brave and went to Home Depot to get tiles...came home, used the black craft pad, stamped, heat set and they smeared....I have two questions...should I be using only staz-on? and, my tiles were smooth, should I be using a tumbled, pourous tile?

I am so upset....I was so exicted to do this and inspired by all of your examples...can someone save me?

Thanks!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2004, 06:35 AM   #2  
Inking Addict

I've found that using the stazon works best. Even with heat setting, craft or any other ink just smears and never really sets properly.

I'm using the smooth, coated tiles - stamping image with stazon, heat setting with my embossing tool, then adding color using either watercolor pencils, pearlex, colored sharpies, or even stampin pastels - then sealing with a spray on sealer. They work great, and don't smear!

I've got a few examples in the gallery if you're interested in seeing some I've done.

Hope this helps! Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2004, 06:41 AM   #3  
Forum Fanatic

Default Okay

You can't get finished tiles and just heat set them ~ it won't work. You have to get unfinished or tumble tiles. If you go to the Home Depots I went to in CA they had no clue what a tumble tile was, but knew what unfinished were, so ask for both. The best ones come in boxes of 9 and say Equals One Square Foot. Those are the coaster size. You can use just StazOn on those and you don't have to finish them with acrylic sealer. With that you can also color them with any medium as long as you acrylic seal them.

Finished tiles MUST be acrylic sealed. Make sure you don't get too close or the sealer will smear your creation. I've made close to 200 tiles and never baked one until two weeks ago. I HATED the result!! It faded my reds and my purples and made me so mad!! I stick with just acrylic sealing them. Some people have issues if they use them as coasters with using acrylic sealer, but I've not experienced a problem.

Feel free to ask if you have any more question.

Kymber
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2004, 06:46 AM   #4  
Inking Addict

I bought some of the smooth tiles at Home Depot (okay, actually dh bought them and brought them home for me! ) I primed them first ~ sprayed on a single layer of polycrylic then let it dry. Stamped on it with a regular classic stamp pad and then sprayed another layer of the polycrylic on it. I did 4 of them (The whole set of Nature Sketchbook each in a different color) and none of them smeared and they're all waterproof now. Just as a warning, though, when you spray the Polycrylic on do it outside ... it as a horrible after smell!

I'll attach a pic of one of them.

-Alisha
Attached Thumbnails
Stamping on tile help!-tile.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2004, 06:51 AM   #5  
Inking Addict

All I've ever used is the finished tiles, and I haven't had a single problem - as long as I stamp with stazon and then heat set with embossing gun (and of course, spray seal them when all finished!). Also used mine as drink coasters, and haven't had any problems with the "sweat" that drips on them from the drink - just pools up on the tile, doesn't run off, doesn't smear the image at all! These coated/finished tiles turn out really cool if after you've stamped your image in stazon and heat set it, pounce on pearl ex in a few different colors. When you spray the sealer on, it really brings out the colors!

I've been able to find the finished tiles at M*nards (much like a H*me D*pot or L*wes), and very cheap. Got a box of 100 tiles for $13.00 on sale (actually - I got 2 of them!). Much cheaper than the tumbled tiles. But the tumbled tiles give you a different look - more rustic, so I guess it depends on the look you're after! Stacey
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-16-2004, 07:30 AM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just recently made a memo board out of a shiny tile. I stamped in Staz-On and then colored with Sharpies. Then I baked them at 350 for 20min. They did fade a bit, but not terribly. Since I wanted this to have a "write-on/wipe-off" capability, I didn't want to spray it with a sealer. I found that even with baking the ink came off with rubbing (not desirable for a memo board!). I covered the images with Crystal Effects. Worked beautifully!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2004, 06:39 PM   #7  
Glitter Guru

I have been going back and forth with these darn tiles - I must have been on here at least 5 or 6 times asking different questions...

I have been trying to "perfect" the art of stamping on the 2" by 2" finished tiles to be used for magnets

I tried

Stazon and sealer = ran terribly
Stazon, baking and sealer - did not run
Stazon, heat set and sealer - did not run
Stazon, classic ink, heat set and sealer - ink ran
Stazon, chalk, heat set and sealer - slight running of chalk

I just got a pack of sharpies and will be trying that soon....

I think a lot has to to with the type of sealer you are using - I have had both the Krylon basic acrylic sealer and the Krylon fixif (sp??)

a few people mentioned they have used a water-based sealer and have had no problems with running of the ink.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-18-2004, 09:32 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

I recently learned the Tissue Paper Tile Technique from Melissa at www.TheStampingStudio.com. She stamps with Staz On onto tissue paper and colors the image with chalks. Then cuts the tissue to be just a bit smaller than the tile. Use Versamark on the tile and coat with UTEE and melt in the oven (heat gun takes forever on this!) and while it's melted, lay the tissue paper on top of the tile and let it cool. Then versamark over the image, add more UTEE, melt again in the oven and VIOLA!! While it's still hot, I like to add charms, micro beads and more!

Melissa has a step by step tutorial for this technique in the files of our Yahoo Group under Classes check it out!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/PennyWiseArts/

I've thrown away a lot less tiles since I learned this technique!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2004, 04:59 AM   #9  
Forum Fanatic

Default ~

My personal feeling is I HATE Krylon products. I've never had any luck and I've bought them a couple of times and only paid more for worse results. But that's my experience.

I use craft acrylic sealer and haven't had a problem. I use StazOn and Classic Pens to color if I want just an extra bit ~ like coloring a bee yellow after stamping with black StazOn. I use Patricia Nimock and have only had a smearing problem when I got too close.

And I don't know about others, but I sand the small white tiles before working with them. I get a better result.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2004, 05:12 AM   #10  
Cardstock Collector

For the 2x2 tiles, I used craft ink and then clear embossing powder and then heat set it with the embossing gun. That took awhile, but worked. I'm sure baking it would work too. Very easy.

Julie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2004, 06:08 AM   #11  
Glitter Guru

Default Re: ~

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kymbers_Stampin
I use craft acrylic sealer and haven't had a problem. I use StazOn and Classic Pens to color if I want just an extra bit ~ like coloring a bee yellow after stamping with black StazOn. I use Patricia Nimock and have only had a smearing problem when I got too close.
Is Patrica Nimock a brand of craft sealer that you are using???
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-19-2004, 06:21 AM   #12  
Forum Fanatic

Default ~

Yep, it is the brand!! It's in a Blue and White spray can. You can get it at WalMart and Michaels in the craft section. It's great!! And I believe less expensive than Krylon. I know it sounds like I have a personal issue with Krylon, I don't; just have had bad experience with their products.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-21-2004, 12:32 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Default Tiles

I have made a ton of tiles too! I get the 4x4 tumbled marble tiles from Home Depot & Lowe's, they are not glossy! (Also, my store has the box of 9 at a new low price of $4.97 per box!!!) I use my Staz-On pads & sometimes Sharpies, and have never had to seal them. The only tiles I seal are the 6x6 tiles because I use them as trivets, and the stains will soak into the tile if you do not seal them. I use a tile sealer I purchased from Home Depot. I believe it is water based, but I have not had a problem with my ink running. I will say that this sealer has to be brushed on, and you do not want to brush over your image too many times, or it may run.

Good luck!
Chris :o)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-22-2004, 02:26 PM   #14  
Pearl-ExPert

Default stamping on tiles

For the coasters I'm using Bottochino tiles.

I stamped with Staz-On and heat set it. I colored in with Stampin' Pastel chalks and then painted a think layer of Crystal Effects over just the chalked areas. That's it. I use them everyday and I've had no problems whatsoever.

I did the little square 2"X2" tiles for magnets. I got rough textured AND smooth textured. Used the same method and it worked great.

HTH!

Email me and I'll send you a link to see pictures.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 03:10 PM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Default Tile tecniques

Hello to all you "Tile Ladies"...I purchased a terracotta colored tile from HDPOT....I was wondering if I could emboss with gold embossing powder on the tile...would like to emboss a fall leaf and use for candle plate.

Any great ideas on the typeof embossing. The tile is smooth.

Thanks in advance...

INKredibly,
Carolyn Lowe

"INKredible Girlfriends"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-25-2004, 03:58 PM   #16  
Gallery Gazer

I've stamped with black Stazon and let air dry for about 15 minutes. Then colored with Stampin' Writers or any marker. I blotted the marker color because I just wanted a "hint" of color. Then I spray sealed with MATTE finish Krylon sealer. Just a quick spritz - used that technique on tile and dominoes. So far no rubbing or bleeding. You must bring the tiles inside to dry after spray sealing them in humid climates or you will get the smears - never dries!

I've tried embossing, but it will rub off after time.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2007, 09:29 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

What a great bunch of ideas! I was going to try this technique this week, lucky to have found this thread!

You Can Stamp It,come for ideas!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 06:40 PM   #18  
Insane Embellisher

Thank you. That just answered a lot of questions I had. I am going to try creating the tile/coasters over the weekend.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-10-2007, 09:20 PM   #19  
Stazon Splitcoast

I usually stamp on my tiles - shiny or the tumbled ones - with Stazon colour in with SU markers and spray with an acrylic sealer. No need to heat or anything. They turn out great!

My Gallery http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...0&ppuser=25291

I would be delighted if you checked out my blog: http://www.justforfun.typepad.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 06:10 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

My dry erase tiles aren't working...Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong? I mean, I'm obviously doing something wrong here... I took a glossy tile, washed and dried it, stamped with StazOn, let dry, sprayed glossy sealer, let dry, sprayed again, let dry. Now my dry erase marker won't come off! It's like permanent marker, not budging. I tried dry and wet towels but it's there for good I think. It did come off the tile before I sealed it, when it was just naked tile. What am I doing wrong? Should I not have sprayed the whole thing? Just the part where the stamp was??

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 06:59 AM   #21  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by forever_amberView Post
My dry erase tiles aren't working...Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong? I mean, I'm obviously doing something wrong here... I took a glossy tile, washed and dried it, stamped with StazOn, let dry, sprayed glossy sealer, let dry, sprayed again, let dry. Now my dry erase marker won't come off! It's like permanent marker, not budging. I tried dry and wet towels but it's there for good I think. It did come off the tile before I sealed it, when it was just naked tile. What am I doing wrong? Should I not have sprayed the whole thing? Just the part where the stamp was??
I would have just sprayed where the stamp was. The rest of the tile would have been fine to leave alone, especially if dry erase marker was coming off easily before you sealed the whole tile.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-11-2007, 07:45 AM   #22  
Rubber Obsessor

I will forge on and try again...!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2007, 03:00 PM   #23  
Inking Addict

I just tried my first attempt at making tile coasters. I got the tumbled tiles for 32 cents each at Lowes. I am using black stazon and my Bella stamps. I attached my Bella stamps to an acrylic block with double side tape. My problem is my image does not come out very clear. Sometimes it will smear. Sometimes it is too faint and sometimes it is too dark. What am I doing wrong? Should I use another type of ink pad. I really want to use the Bellas. Then when I clean off my 'mess' with my cleaner, the tile becomes very oily which makes it even more difficult. Any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2007, 06:15 PM   #24  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by brendamontanezView Post
I just tried my first attempt at making tile coasters. I got the tumbled tiles for 32 cents each at Lowes. I am using black stazon and my Bella stamps. I attached my Bella stamps to an acrylic block with double side tape. My problem is my image does not come out very clear. Sometimes it will smear. Sometimes it is too faint and sometimes it is too dark. What am I doing wrong? Should I use another type of ink pad. I really want to use the Bellas. Then when I clean off my 'mess' with my cleaner, the tile becomes very oily which makes it even more difficult. Any help is appreciated.
im making some right now too. im using stazon. just try to stamp it till you get it crisp. im using alcohol to take my mistake off. now im trying to figure out how to seal it lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 03:27 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

I made some tumbled tile magnets and I only screwed up one. The one that was bad was due to an overload of StazOn, it looked heavy. So, from then on out I used less pressure when I was inking on and it looked great. I used Stampin' Pastels and a q-tip and then sealed with a matte sealer. The matte sealer is nice because the tiles keep their rough look, but the pastel colors pop.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 03:30 AM   #26  
Rubber Obsessor

Is there a glossy acrylic sealer that allows me to spray an entire glossy tile and still use it for a dry erase board? I'm wondering because I want to give them as gifts and I don't want to have to say, "Be sure NOT to get ink on the image because it won't ever come off there."

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 05:38 AM   #27  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

Has anyone tried using pigment ink? I bought 2 rough faced tiles at an outlet store yesterday and 2 pigment ink pads for $1.00 each at JoAnn's yesterday. I have not tried it yet and probably won't get to it until after Christmas. But just was wondering if anyone had tried pigment ink and if so, how does it work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #28  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by forever_amberView Post
Is there a glossy acrylic sealer that allows me to spray an entire glossy tile and still use it for a dry erase board? I'm wondering because I want to give them as gifts and I don't want to have to say, "Be sure NOT to get ink on the image because it won't ever come off there."

I used Inkssentials glossy accents over the part of the tile that I stamped. It gives it a raised look. I didn't coat the entire tile though. You want to make sure that you don't touch the stamped part either or it may run a little. I got really good results with it and the tiles are able to be written on and erased.

I got it at my Michael's in the stamping section where they have embossing pens, stamp cleaner, etc. I don't remember the cost, but it was less than $5 and you can use a coupon. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 06:28 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by misse336View Post
I used Inkssentials glossy accents over the part of the tile that I stamped. It gives it a raised look. I didn't coat the entire tile though. You want to make sure that you don't touch the stamped part either or it may run a little. I got really good results with it and the tiles are able to be written on and erased.

I got it at my Michael's in the stamping section where they have embossing pens, stamp cleaner, etc. I don't remember the cost, but it was less than $5 and you can use a coupon. HTH.
so you put it on top of it? covering the stamped part. thats what i did and it look bumpy. i used a foam brush. did you just pour it on?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2007, 06:49 AM   #30  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffsgirlView Post
so you put it on top of it? covering the stamped part. thats what i did and it look bumpy. i used a foam brush. did you just pour it on?
I think that we are talking about two different products. The bottle that I have is only 2 fl ounces and has a top that you squeeze the product out of on top of your image, like stickles or puff paint. No foam brush. It does leave a raised part on what you cover with it, but not bumps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #31  
Gabfest Goddess

Has anyone tried the Palette Hybrid inks on the tumbled tiles and heat set them?
Just Us Girls Challenge DT
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-15-2007, 03:46 PM   #32  
Mad Swapper

I learned to do tiles from a demo and we used craft ink on Lowe's non-glossy tiles. First you stamp, then you stick it in the oven on low heat for about 30 min. Let it cool then spray with craft sealer, either matte or glossy. I still have mine. It's great still and it's a year old.

Happily designing for WPlus9 and CSS stamps, Waltzingmouse sketch, Scarlet Lime kit club, and the Digichick Card Caravan
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 07:52 AM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

I stamped on tiles for my first time. I used the Stazon ink and the porous tiles from Home Depot. I used the SU Touch of Nature stamps and Krylon Crystal Clear coating.

I wrapped up all four sets and forgot to take a photo. Once my mom opens hers I will take a photo and post.

Buy extras because I messed up on two. The first one the ink was too thick and ran. The second one was too light. You need to practice to get the ink thickness just right. Other than that they turned out really nice.

The technique I used for the ink was to rub the stamp on the ink rather than pressing down. When I pressed down I got too much ink on the stamp.

Have fun and good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2007, 01:49 PM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

Wow, so many variations on this technique! I finished 4 sets last week and I used--->
tumbled tiles, washed and dried
Stazon ink
heat gun on some; oven on others (no difference)
colored chalks on some; tissue paper on others
Mod Podge on some; sealer on others

If not heat set, the ink will run with the sealer. After all my experimenting, I am going with oven for setting the ink and Mod Podge for sealing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #35  
Die Cut Diva

Default Tumbled Marble Tiles...

I've been making these tiles for gifts for years and I use Brilliance. It gives it a nice metallic sheen! I stamp, bake it in the oven for about 20 minutes and then.... done! I don't seal it at all. I have tried to mess these tiles up. I dumped red wine on it, mustard and more to see if they would stain without a sealer and they didn't. The awesome thing about using Brilliance is - if you mess up and want a "do-over" you can wipe off the ink with Windex and start again! I usually use a background stamp in a lighter color of brilliance and then an accent image over top in a darker color. I've uploaded a sample to my blog! You can find me at outtoimpress.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2008, 02:15 AM   #36  
Cardstock Collector

Wow, just found this thread and all of your tiles look wonderful - I want one !!! - are there any UK people out there that have done this - would love to know what to look for and where to purchase so that I can have a go myself ? I have a couple of ceramic white tiles that I use for Marvy watercolouring so I'll have a go at Stazon and see how I get on first.

Thanks

Lilly
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #37  
Rubber Obsessor

subscribizzle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 08:28 AM   #38  
Inking Addict

These are such wonderful ideas. Thanks for all of the help to get the perfect look.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

JUst my 2 cents
I have sold bunch of tiles and I am in process of making more as I have 4 more art festivals coming up in June, July, August and September.
I get tumbled marble tiles type: bottacino (sp?) from Lowes.
I wash them first and dry them
I stamp with Staz-on and let it dry or heat set it if I am in crunch time,or I am impatient.
Then I color them with prismacolor premier artist markers and sharpies, and on the end I seal them with ultra-clear acrylic fixative I get from Utrecht (Art supply store)
As well I have used tumble marble tiles from Home Depit, with the surface is not as smooth as on the type I mentioned before.
Here are some of my tiles:
http://ilinacrouse.blogspot.com/2008/04/more-tiles.html

http://ilinacrouse.blogspot.com/2008...min-tiles.html

http://ilinacrouse.blogspot.com/2008...-coasters
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-24-2008, 03:25 PM   #40  
Mad Swapper

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How much darker do the Sharpie colors get after being "baked"?
Reply With Quote Likes