Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-24-2005, 01:39 PM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Charmed
Default Organizational Challenge - Week 1

Ok - I have spent quite some time looking through the gallery at all the 'scrap spaces' pictures that have been posted there.

Some of you wonderfully talented people are so organized! I am very envious!! So, I decided to give myself a kick in the butt, and while at it, challenge all you other SCS out there as well!

So, once a week, I will post a Organizational Challenge.

Some will be quick and easy, some not so quick and easy! Some you may of allready done, others you might of been putting off!

So to start the challenge off, you have 4 assignments!

1 - take a 'before' picture - posting it is up to you, but it will help keep you motivated.

2 - take out the garbage can - you know, the overflowing garbage can that leads to garbage on your desk, floor, and where ever else it lands in the creative process. Dont worry about the rest of the garbage elsewhere - that is for next week!

3 - Make a list of your organizational goals. Please try to post your goals here - it might help some with this.

4 - REMOVE any NON-STAMPING and NON-SCRAPPING related items from your craft space!

So, to get us started I will post my pics in my gallery, with a link here in a few minuites.

And here are my 'Organizational Goals'

- Have a clean desktop so I can stamp when ever I am inspired to. Right now, I just shove everything over, or pile it up, so I have a small space to work. (Have been known to work on my lap!)

- Cut down on my craft towers (I have 5 - mostley full of stuff I dont even know that I have) Ideally, I only want 3 at the most.

- Deal with my endless stack of Magazines somehow.

- Train myself to put things away when I am finished using them!

- Get a keyboard and mouse tray - free up some extra work space on my desk.

So...... lets start to get organized!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 01:52 PM   #2  
Compulsive Stamper

Default Organizational Challenge

OH BOY do I need this challenge. Thank You so much for getting this started. I will start tonight!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 02:03 PM   #3  
LOSTchick

Charmed,

This is a great challange!
I like the idea of taking before/after pics. That has the makings of a scrapbook page.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 02:05 PM   #4  
Polyshrink Goddess

Ok, I feel a little embarrased doing this, but I need some help!

Believe it or not, this room was more or less spotless until Sunday. Then I had a workshop and went nuts throwing stuff around. And my husband has his pile of stuff in here (the window blinds) that will be put in the tool room until he gets off his butt and cleans it. I'm normally pretty organized, but if one thing gets out of place (hubby or kids back here) I can't function and it ends up looking like this!

My husband is still working on finishing the room so once he's done, it should be an awesome stamping/scrapbooking room.

I'll have it done tonight - and no, I won't just shove it all in a box and hide it!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 02:05 PM   #5  
LOSTchick

I have a suggestion for the stacks of magazines. You can either throw them away without looking at them (yes, I know that is a drastic move, and I'd never be able to do it myself! ) or you can take the time to look at them, clip ideas you like & put them into an idea file. You can then throw out the mag once you've pulled ideas from it.

Melissa
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 02:09 PM   #6  
Polyshrink Goddess

hmm, my picture didn't post... It's not very big, but you can get the idea
Attached Thumbnails
Organizational Challenge - Week 1-mymess.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 02:19 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Here are the links to my 'stamp/scrap' space.....

My workspace

My storage area

My closet

And Melissa - I like your suggetion of clipping what I would use from the mags, then tossing the rest! Might just do that!

Babyfactory - looks like you need the challenge as much as I do! I was very careful to 'edit' out the floor in my pics :oops:[/url]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 02:54 PM   #8  
Sassy Shani

YIKES..... I would freak out if my craft area looked like that!!! That is definitely worth creating a weekly challenge for! :shock: But I don't have children so that I'm sure helps a ton!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 03:04 PM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Default I like it!

Ok - I get it, I get it! Did my DH put you up to this???!!!???
He made me a room in our unfinished basement for Christmas - I have been "moving in" ever since. I really need to unpack the 4 boxes of
God-knows-what in the corner.

My Goals:
1.) Finish Unpacking and re-claim the Dining Room table!

2.) File all of my Scrapping Paper and Cardstock All SU Cardstock and Designer Paper filed. Now I have a huge bin of other manufacturer's patterned paper to sort. I'm making progress!!!

3.) Mount UM Stamps OK - Mounted Newsprint Alpha, Collage Alpha, and What could Be Better. ONLY 8 more sets to go!

4.) Make an Inventory of my Stamps and other supplies (so I don't order another 8 packs of Copper Vellum Tags!!!! :oops: )

Thanks again - This is a fabulous idea! Michelle
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh my-I thought that I would join the challenge and post my scrap room and get organized-but I think it would be better if I came to your house because you need way more help then my stamp space needs. Directions please.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 03:23 PM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh my-I thought that I would join the challenge and post my scrap room and get organized-but I think it would be better if I came to your house because you need way more help then my stamp space needs. Directions please. :lol: :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 03:44 PM   #12  
Polyshrink Goddess

CLEANING PARTY AT MY PLACE!!

32E to 97S to 50E....

But I bet I can get this mess done by 8:30 all by myself
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 04:53 PM   #13  
Sassy Shani

I'm on my way...oh yeah...I also put a call into the TLC show Clean Sweep. I hope ya don't care!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:01 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

What a perfect topic for me this week! I have the end of this week off and my #1 agenda item is to move into my new craft room! Right now I've taken over the dining room, but I finally (after 2 years of hemming and hawing about it) painted a spare bedroom and am going to use it for my stamping.

My goals are to:
1) Clear out all the painting/woodwork stuff from my new room.
2) Clean out the closet in my new room so I can put away my stamps there.
3) Move all my stamping stuff from the dining room to my new room.
4) Enjoy!! :lol:

This is the perfect push for me to get this done! Thanks! - J.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 05:13 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I'm still working on a scrap and stamp space. Right now everything is in two big tupperwares, and sub-organized in baby wipe boxes!! I am still waiting to see how much (equipment, stamps, supplies) I'm going to have before I attack it with a system. I'd like to get some shelving, but I'm still waiting on bookshelves for all of my books, so I think I may have to wait :P
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:02 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Oh, I need to do this. I started re-working and re-organizing my stamp room and never finished. Most of my stuff is pretty organized. My problem is cleaning up after myself. I am one of those that will just push stuff aside and work on new stuff. Need to stop working a few minutes early and clean up versus dashing out the door at the last minute. And I need to put away all the other junk that seems to accumulate in my stamp room - kids stuff mainly. I'll have to figure out how to attach pictures. Oh, I love the comments about the overflowing garbage can - that is me!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:19 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

That overflowing garbage can doesn't happen to me - thankfully! What I do is put a plastic grocery bag on the peg (back) of my chair (or next to me) and just use that for whatever I'm working on. Then, when I'm done with a project and cleaning up, I just put all my tiny scraps, etc. in there and throw the whole thing away! Feels much better to me to actually throw it out - as kind of the final thing for that project - than to see a full trash can sitting there. You may try that and see if it works for you?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 06:38 PM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Send a message via Skype™ to StampinLeslie

Love this idea! Here are my goals:

1 -- Keep work table clean! Put away my toys when I'm done playing!

2 -- Go through all supplies (e.g., non-SU! embellishments) and weed out those things I'll never use -- sell or give away.

3 -- Continue organizing supplies (I've recently been on an organizing kick).

4 -- Set up DD with a better work table, so she can work along side me, giving me more time to stamp!

I'll take some pictures tomorrow and post them.

Thanks for the motivation to keep organizing!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:32 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

Default organize challenge

You ladies do not know! Those pictures are mild compared to what my room looks like right now. If one of the kids needs the computer for school work I can not work, because the two other chairs in the room are full of stuff. I have a large secretary desk that has the side arms that come out. I usually have to work on one of them if not my lap because that is the only space available. I NEED this challenge!

1. Find camera to take picture.Found the camera. Now I need to have the courage to take a picture and post it! :oops:

2. Put together all unmounted stamps.-Done! I actually completed a task!(or at least until my next order comes in!)

3. Put away all supplies.Some of the supplies has been put away. I need to create places for some of the new stuff from Target clearence!

4. Clear the floor and chairs.-I found the chairs and we can now sit on them! :lol: Now I need to find the floor!

5. vaccume(don't remember the last time that was done in this room!)

Thanks for the challenge!
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:49 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

I am so excited about this challenge!! I am a new demo (less than six moths) who did not own but one pack of SU paper when I started. I'm amazed at how quickly my collection of stuff has grown. In my eagerness to try new techniques and to keep up with workshops and all, my scrapbooking (which I am verrrrrry far behind) has become further behind. I also began homeschooling this past year so I have more "stuff" accumulating than before. I need this challenge. We have a walk in storage space that is unfinished. We plan to finish it out. I'm not sure what the best method will be but I am eagerly reading all I can find on this site and reviewing all of the pictures. This is my hobby and its my "work". I think a better organized space will allow me not only to set a better example for my boys (and appreciation to my husband for allowing me to do this and other wonderful projects) but also enable me to be more effective. What I could do with all that time I have spent "looking for something!!".

Before we can start, I have to organize somewhat to clear out space. I also have to get in there and remove teacher stuff, toys, suitcases, etc. Some of it I just need to part with and some needs to go somewhere else. I also need to become more disciplined with a schedule... (that's probably another thread! LOL!) and spend time cleaning up and organizing... not just searching this site for fantastic inspiration. I also have as a goal to load information into the new Stamper's Sidekick computer program. Once loaded, I can file stuff away (at least that's my rationale for having it pile up on my desk! I'm great at "listing" what to do... not to do!! Thanks for the post!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 07:54 PM   #21  
Crimping Master

HMMMMM....where to begin.....but thanks for posting it, fer sure food for thought.....too many crafts...I have tons of fabric and vintage textiles....I know we hate to say the ebay word here...but stuff sells like mad there...I've been selling off my quilting magazines...in bulk....and quilting books....not all of them...I've kept the ones I can't live without....I need to downsize so both of my crafting passions can live in one space...the fabric stuff and the stampin stuff....and clear the kitchen counter so that I can like actually cook dinner .....wouldn't my dh be excited!!!

so baby steps here.....gather stampin stuff in one area, clear non stampin stuff from that area....find 10 things this week to eliminate from the fabric area to donate or sell, sweep the floor of paper scraps, fabric scraps and dog hair, say something nice about the organiztion of dh's Civil War collection, work up nerve to post pics....hide location of my home....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:06 PM   #22  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

Originally Posted by MWDStamp
Oh, I need to do this. I started re-working and re-organizing my stamp room and never finished. Most of my stuff is pretty organized. My problem is cleaning up after myself. I am one of those that will just push stuff aside and work on new stuff. Need to stop working a few minutes early and clean up versus dashing out the door at the last minute. And I need to put away all the other junk that seems to accumulate in my stamp room...
Oh my gosh! I'm "one of those" too!! I just get sidetracked and get too many things going at once! My DH is constantly telling me "If you'd just put it away when you're done with it...." But, but, I wasn't done yet, I'm still working on it....

I think I need this challenge! We're just moving into a new house and I finally have a room to put all my craft stuff in, instead of having it scattered around the house! I never realized how much "stuff" I have amassed until I piled it all in my new room! I'll post my goals with my pictures that I'll take later! Let's go ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

I am so glad that this is giving all of you that extra kick in the but that we creative types sometimes need.

If you are lucky enough to be moving into a fresh, clean, empty room soon (as some of you are) START ORGANIZED!! This means, as painful as it may be, dont take it out of the box until you have a 'home' for it!!!

I tried to do that - worked for a few things - I waited to unpack all my 12x12 paper until I had a way to store it other than on a pile on the floor! Now, I not only know what I have, but I no longer think to myself "I know I have the perfect paper in this stack here, but it is easier for me to drive the 2 min to the store to buy a sheet then to try and find it in that pile"

..... of course, arriving home with an extra $20-$30 in other 'goodies'.

If you are on a roll with what you have done so far, then carry on....

I know I have also cleaned off my desk! What a shock! Has not been this clean since I brought it home from IKEA!

Now, I should clarify what I mean by 'cleaned off my desk' - I just moved everything that did not have a 'home' into a box - I will find homes for all those items next week!

And keep posting your goals, and photos of your area - need to stay motivated! And, I need to know what to challenge you with!

Kairn.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

You're our own stamping and scrapping FlyLady!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-25-2005, 04:09 AM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Default organizational challenge

I was thinking the same thing when I read the post. Some of us need that structure though!

You go girl! Keep motivating us!

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:19 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

So, how are you all doing with getting organized???

Only a few more days until the next challenge!!!

And lets see some more goals posted!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:40 AM   #27  
Glitter Guru

I love this! We are in the process of painting the craft room/office (which is actually supposed to be a dining room but is really too small for our family and is the only 'extra' room in the house), so it is way beyond messy!

my goals:
1. Clear everything out of the room
2. Finish painting/set up furniture
3. Bring in only things I'll use consistently
4. Store occasionally used items in garage.

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." ~ Scott Adams
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 11:45 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Ok, Ok this is awesome....I will be in on this challenge! I need organization so badly! ! ! ! Give me some time later tonight and I will get started! Thanks for this challenge!

Crystal
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:24 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks for this.
I got out into my craft room the other day cleaned off the desk, re-organized and labled my drawers. They are numbered and I have an index taped inside the closet door, that way if I change the contents of the drawer I don't have to relable it.

It all felt so good that I made 3 cards and now the desk is cluttered again!!! (but I'm happy :lol: )
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 12:49 PM   #30  
Kookie Creator

Ok, better late than never!
My goals are:
1) Recycle, Recycle, Recycle. Do the flylady thing and either give away, trash, or set aside for the kids 5 things every time I sit down to stamp/scrap.
2) Get rid of Some of the magazines/printouts that are more than a year old. Not everything, but most.
3) Make a space for the kids to do their art, so I can use mine while they're occupied with something other than TV.
4) Clean up after myself! Find a container I can use to enclose a project I'm half-done with so it's easy to come right back to it, but so I don't shove it aside when something else HAS to get done immediately. (Like a birthday card! eek!)
5) Finally stamp my perpetual calendar and FILL IT OUT so I stop missing birthdays. It's becoming the family joke.

Kate
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 01:27 PM   #31  
Die Cut Diva

Ok I did take a couple of pictures. Need to figure out how to post them and then get the courage to do it. I did take out the garbage. And have spent some time putting things away. I need to work on my goals. I'll try to get to that and the picture by tomorrow. I also checked out FlyLady.com and spent 30 minutes this morning decluttering. Doing a little at a time makes it much easier and not so overwhelming.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 01:57 PM   #32  
Matboard Maniac

This is what I need!!!! My stamping area is always out of control! :oops: I always have to push my pile out of the way before I can start stamping or I will take supplies to another table and stamp there and leave everything there. We will be moving to another house this summer and am very excited to have a fresh new area...but as for now here are my goals:

1. Empty garbage can!!!!
2. Put everything away
3. Get all of my SU business paper work in order
4. Clean up area everytime I use it

I will try to post pictures tonight.

Look at my puppy's webpage
My small but slowly growing gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 02:37 PM   #33  
Rubber Obsessor

Default organization challenge

I finally got the courage to try to post the before pictures. In the last to days it got better, then I started making set samplers and it's back to square one!

How do you make pictures on a cd smaller to attach?
Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 04:07 PM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

You first have to open them in a photo editor program of some kind on your computer. Then you will need to 'save as' so you save a copy to your computer - I have a sub folder in 'my documents' called 'my cards' the is is where I save all my SCS cards to upload.

Anyways, once you have a copy saved to your computer, you make any modifications you want - crop out your thumb or whatever. Then, you will want to resize the image - how you do this will depend on the software you are using. Then, save your changes, and upload as you normally would to SCS.

Good luck! If you need more help, PM me!
Karin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #35  
Glitter Queen

Default Organization

I have been trying to organize myself and my rubberstamp supplies since my 5 year old was born....I will try and organize my Stamp supplies/Room with the rest of you! Good luck to all!!!! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-28-2005, 05:10 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Oh I can definitely use this type of challenge !!! I live in an apartment, so my space is limited. Luckily I have an eat in kitchen because my craft corner is actually our dining room !!!

I can't wait for this weekend to start !!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 08:49 AM   #37  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 171 Likes on 121 Posts
Default cleanign challenge -something in the air

It must be something in the air. Two weeks ago Soni B decided she wanted to rearrange her stampng/scrapping area. With some help over a couple of days, her goal was accomplished (though I think she's still fine-tuning. hehehe) However, the organization was contagious. I had to come home and do mine!

Didn't take any before pics. Mine shares space in the craft room with my multitude of other artistic endeavors.

My goals were:
1) free up the dining room table
2) have both of my work surfaces available
3) have supplies organized so I knew what I had and within reach.

It took a week - but it's done.

For magazine storage, I created the magazine holders from Priority Mailing boxes. They work great!

My next project is to create a small organizational binder where I can keep a list of all my punches, embellishments, etc. No buying duplicates!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #38  
Stazon Splitcoast

AWESOME CHALLENGE!!!!

I started working on this yesterday....you must have read my mind!!!

I have pics in the ECC thread under what does you house look like.....take a peek.

Rae
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:18 AM   #39  
Mad Swapper

ok, I'm jumpin in a little late (by a week apperently). but we're starting to build my stamp room in the basement next week. so here aremy goals to help that room be organized when I move in:
1. organize magazines in binder and file box
2. finish sewing projects that are out so I don't have to find 'em a place when I move (this room will also be my sewing room)
3. finish scrapping curent pile of pics so they have a home
I think that's all I can really do until I actually move.

this should be great fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 10:41 AM   #40  
Rubber Obsessor

Hey Guess what color my desk is?!! It is brown! I found it! I think I will just post the before pics in the galery and copy a link here. I can't for the life of me get them smaller! I also completed 2 projects this week. ( my 6X6 swaps and a scrapbook that I am giving for a baby shower gift this Sunday.)I still need to vacuume the floor though. There are little pieces of paper all over!

It's amazing what you can do when you can find things!

Thanks again!
I can't wait to see what you come up with this week.

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes