Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 03-31-2005, 09:12 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Charmed
Default Organizational Challenge - Week 2

Good morning all! Here is your assignment for this week to help us find the items we need, when we need them, and the space to use them!

1 - Finish this sentance...... I want to get organized because...........

2 - Finish this sentance...... Being organized is going to help change my life because.........

3 - Get a large box, and put everything from your 'work space' that does not have a home into this box. This means everything that is sitting on your desk that is preventing you from stamping/scrapping. Just put it into a box for now.

4 - Get an essential tool 'box' Think more along the lines of a divided pencil holder, or a cutlery tray for a desk drawer. This is where you will have all your essential tools - tape runner, scissors, glue pens and glue sticks, pens and pencils (not the markers, those should be stored on their sides) You might find yourself adding items as you go along. I also have my pliers in here as well, along with all my adhesives and postage stamps so I can find them.

5 - Get a 'put away' basket. This does not have to be a large one, just one that will hold about half a sheet of paper wide and deep. This will help with the biggest problem of 'putting away' things when we are done using them. When you are finished, simply put the item in the put away basket. When the basket is full, empty it by putting all the items in the basket into their proper home. So, scraps of paper, extra fiber bits, the spools of wire, the little bottle of hair gel for gel cards, pearlex, ect.... you get the idea. So when you are finished your card or what ever you were creating, everything will either be in your put-away basket, or your 'essential tool box' Nothing will be left on your workspace escept the item you just finished working on.

Remember what SPACE stands for:

S - Sort - see what you have
P - Purge - keep only what you use and love
A - Assign - make a home for everything
C - Containerize - seperate and beautify
E - Equalize - refine and maintain the system

So, lets get started!

As for my answers to the first 2 questions"

I want to get organized because.... I dont want to be stressed by my environment every time I sit down to stamp or scrap. Right now, when I am stamping (dont really have room to scrap! Too messy!) I am thinking in the back of my mind - you really should clear off the table first - will make this easier and more fun.

Being organized is going to change the way I live because.... I will be able to work comftorably, will do it more often, have more fun at it and hopefully I will be able to find things when I need them. I also will not be stressing as much about how 'I really should clean up my stuff' as I share the office with David - and he is a bit of a neat freak! Yikes!

I will post pictures of my essential tool box and my put away basket later today.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 09:41 AM   #2  
Insane Embellisher

I want to get more oraganized, because I want more time to stamp. My stamp area is over crowded with items that need a home. I can't work in that kind of enviorment.
Being oragnized will give me a place to stamp and a plan for all the left overs.

'Thanks for sharing this challenge I am going to get started. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 10:36 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

1. I want to get organized because I hate working in a mess!
2. being organized will change my life because I'll have more time to stamp when I don't have to clean up first. I'll be able to find things while stamping, and stamping makes me happy. so I'll be happy more!
3. my "homeless" things are still in the basement waiting to be unpacked. they have to stay there till my room is done, and I can move in. my current room is too small
4. my "essentials" are all in my tool turn about, and a small drawer on my table
5. I wonder if I have something that will make a good "put away" basket?? I'll have to find one today.

thanks for the challenge!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 03:41 PM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Ok - here are pictures of my essentials box, and my put away basket.

The essentials box is actually an acrylic utensile holder I got from Sears a few years ago. It is for countertops, and stores the utensils upright. This works great for me.

The put away basket is something I got for christmas that was full of bath products - never did use them - but the basket has come in very handy over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
Organizational Challenge - Week 2-tool_tote_2524.jpg   Organizational Challenge - Week 2-basket_2525.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #5  
Kookie Creator

"Charmed" - Thank you SO much for doing this - I LOVE the idea of the essentials and put away baskets. Inspired by your original post (as to whether or not we needed this challenge) I went out and bought a craft cart from Wal-Mart so that, as you said, everything would have a "home". I am going to incorporate your ideas from this week's challenge - thanks again!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:09 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Default I want to get organized

1. I want to get organized, because I I can't find my desk top, let alone be able to sit down and stamp a card (even my desk chair has stuff on it)
2. Being organized will allow me more stamping time that I will enjoy rather than finding it a chore to clean my desk!

Thanks!

Liz***who is the little boy in your avatar? He looks just like my older brother when he was a boy. Too cute!

Stays on Stamping!
Karen
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:16 PM   #7  
Kookie Creator

Karen - The "boy" in the avatar is my dad circa 1960... you're the first person who's asked! I bet everyone else just thinks he's mine! :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 04:27 PM   #8  
Crimping Master

Default organize

He's a cute little fellow Liz. I thought it was a pic from the 60's

Stays on Stamping!
Karen
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 05:23 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks for the great tips!! It is helping me to get organized. I love the idea of a put away basket...Good thinking!! Can't wait to see what happens next week.
1. I want to get organized because it will clear my house of stamping clutter and I will be able to stamp more efficently.
2. Being organized is gonna help change my life because I will be less frantic when searching for that tool or item I need and it is somewhere..if I just keep looking. I guess it will change my life because I will be stamping rather than looking for what I need.

Gotta go finish my organization tasks.
Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 05:25 PM   #10  
Stazon Splitcoast

I did want to ask...is there a certain day that you post the Organizational tip for the week?
Just wondering,
Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:43 PM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

I will post the challenges on Thursday - close enough to the weekend that it will still be fresh in your mind and you dont have the excuse of 'later'!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-31-2005, 07:47 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thanks, I really like this and am actually organizing!!I will be looking every THursday for your next Installment!!
Bev
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 01:22 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Anybody else need some motivation to clean and organize all your 'stuff'?

Remember, what we are doing in our craft space can be applied to other areas of the house as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-01-2005, 02:21 PM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Thank you for the inspiration! When I get a chance to take pictures of my organization I will post them!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #15  
Die Cut Diva

Hi everyone - just to let you know that both Micheals and Jo-Anns have coupons for this week.

If you are needing a put away basket or a essentials tool box, I am sure you could pick something up at either place for a great price right now!

And how is everyone comming along with these challenges?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-03-2005, 10:44 AM   #16  
Forum Fanatic

Charmed, would you mind sharing your real name?

I haven't posted to this thread yet, but I have been watching it. I have really been trying to get organized this past year. It is a slow and painful process, it seems.

I think one thing that holds me back is that I will get it organized, but then I don't put things away....even though there is a place for it! LOL! Another is that I don't plan any space for *more stuff* that will be coming in...there is always new stuff, right??
So...something I have been working on in addition to organizing is to try to take 2-3 minutes and clean up and put away EVERY time and also to leave room for the new stuff that I can't live without once I see it.

Charmed, keep up the great work! I for one love the encouragement...together, we can do this!
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-05-2005, 10:57 AM   #17  
Rubber Obsessor

I missed this post on Sunday. I didn't think it would be posted again until Thursday.

I just found it searching for the Ways to use it challenge.

I want to be organized so the I can calmly sit and stamp and scrap, not in a mess. I also want ot stop feeling guilty about doing a project when I should be cleaning the room.

Being organized will enable me to do the things in my reason why.

It's funny that you posted this on Sunday, because yesterday I found th top of my desk and rearranged some things into groups so that I could find a home for some new things that I have bought in the last month.

I can't remove all the things that do not appy to stamping though because I share the room with the family, but I am organizing them so that things of like subject are in the same areas, not all mixed together.

Thanks for your motivation!

Lori
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-06-2005, 10:07 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Hi everyone - how has this past week gone?

Beth - my real name is Karin.

And just to let everyone know, that with the planed BIG site upgrades on Thursday, I will be posting challenge #3 very EARLY! - about 8am - very early for me at least!

So.... I hope the past two weeks challenges have helped get you started towards a happier, easier more ORGANIZED stamping and scrapping experience.

And there will be a bonus challenge with a PRIZE!!!

So stay tuned tomorrow!

Karin.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-07-2005, 05:19 AM   #19  
Forum Fanatic

Oh thanks, Karin! It is so nice to know someone's real name too!

Thanks for keeping us going with the organizational challenges...maybe between your inspiration and the flylady thread, I *will* get (and stay!) organized. Have a great day!
and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-03-2005, 09:55 AM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

1 - I want to get organized because........... I can't find anything or get to anything easily to use. Stamping & Scrapping is not as fun anymore because of the overwhelming feelings.

2 - Being organized is going to help change my life because.........I will be able to catch up my scrapbooks and I will be able to use up all this stuff I've been collecting. I will also be able to get cards & gifts done on time. It will also give the space & opportunity to work on some projects for different charities. I will no longer be feeling overwhelmed by stuff.

I'm working on clearing off my desk. I'll post pics of my toolbox & basket when I get those figured out.

Last edited by Suzanne; 05-08-2005 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2005, 05:56 PM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

1- I want to get organized because the stress I feel when I see my work areas cluttered and messy is unbelievable and can change my mood almost immediately. I feel like a failure that everywhere I look there is MESS!

2- Getting organized will change my life because it is something that deep down I have always wanted to do for myself and my husband would like me to do it for him too! It will ease that stress and help me feel more at ease.

Michaels had baskets on sale 40% off so I got a set of three. My essentials box is not divided, but it will still work and look cute.

My put away basket is one of the 3 of the set I got. It is square and can't fit an 8x10 piece on flat, I figured that this way, if it won't fit- I have to put it away. I used to use some metal in/out bins for paper scraps, but they fit any size and it just kept growing!! Now with a smaller basket, I will not be able to store too much stuff to put away.

On to week 3! WHOOO! Can you believe I spent part of Mothers Day doing all this?!?!? I acutally feel really good!

Will post pics tomorrow of my baskets and the cleaned desk top!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-08-2005, 06:01 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

what a way to spend mothers day - working on your space that makes you happy so you can use it with ease whenever you have a spare 15 minuites!

Sounds like a great way to spend mothers day!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-17-2005, 09:54 AM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's my clean desk & toolbox:

Left Side of Desk

Right Side of Desk

Essential Toolbox & Put Away Basket

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

I want to get organized because....my desktop (currently work space) is really small and I'm afraid I'm going to spill coffee all over my things. I want to get organized so I don't "loose" things on my desk - which is REALLY ridiculous!

Getting organized will change my life by keeping me SANE! By making my desktop less cluttered so I can actually stamp - I love to stamp, hate to clean!

I've been looking for an "essential toolbox" for a while and just haven't found what I want.

Love the idea of the "put away" basket - I'm sure I have something here I can use.......(searching) - FOUND! Now back to clearning a spot to PUT it!!!

Come Visit Me At ... A Work In Progress

Last edited by NavyWifeArmyMom; 05-20-2005 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: found item
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-22-2005, 07:21 PM   #25  
Rubber Obsessor

Wink

Hi. I've just discovered this forum this evening. I wrote a message in the first week's challenge. Trash goes out tomorrow, and I'll have a couple of big bags from my stamping room to pitch.

This week's tip (I know I'm weeks behind, but I hope to catch up at warp speed) is fantastic. I actually don't need an essentials tool box because my desk has seven big drawers, and I can dedicate one for tapes and rulers; one for glues; one for basic black and VersaMark pads, pens, erasers, straight scissors, etc.; one for baby wipes and emery boards (to smooth stuff, not nails); one file drawer for ideas and basic card stock; one for CS already scored and cut for cards, in both white and off-white. (I'm missing a couple of drawers, but that's okay.)

The idea, however, of a put-away basket is positively brilliant. As organized as the drawers sound, you'll be less impressed that, when I'm through with a stamp or roll of ribbon, I literally throw it across the room (and it's a big room!) in the direction of the appropriate closet that it goes into. Then when I head toward those closets and have time, I pick up the debris on the floor and put it away. The put-away basket sounds so much more civilized.

I want to get organized because ... I want to still my mom's critical voice in my head and be proud to show off my fabulous space (God is so good!) and, most important, SHARE it with other stampers. (I have such plans for all-day stamp-til-you-drop fests, and classes, and just FUN with friends.)

Getting organized will change my life by making me a calmer, more fulfilled person (no guilt!), allow me to enjoy my stamping "full out," not feel like I'm sneaking away for some surrupticious, unearned pleasure -- and hopefully allow me to be more creative. And I'll feel like I'm in heaven entertaining and stamping with others.

I took the pix of my areas. (If you don't look at my previous message, be forwarned that it's absolutely ATROCIOUS now.) I'll post them tomorrow, when I get help from my DH on how to download from camera to 'puter.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 06-29-2005, 10:17 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Default still lost in the clutter

Ok, I'm trying. I did the first week's challenge, even found a box w/hinged lid to put my current project(s) in. but still have a lot of misc stuff floating on my work space. It's the E in SPACE that I have a hard itme with!

1. I want to get organized because with four kids I don't have much time anyway and I am too lazy to have to look for things everytime I sit down to stamp. (Then I lose my ambition)
2. Being organized is going to help change my life because it will free me of frustration and give me more time to do what I want with it.

3. Just did this...I need another box...
4. I see the point of storing markers on their sides now!
5. I love this idea!! This will help big time!

Thanks so much Karin.. Maybe I'll do week three today as well!
Martha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-10-2005, 08:29 PM   #27  
Kookie Creator

1 - I want to get organized because....being unorganized makes me feel out of control and ashamed of having company over. It also make me stressed out because I can't find stuff and then I hear my husband say "if you'd just put it away"...

2 - Being organized is going to help change my life because.....It will fix everything in #1! I will be able to get things done instead of spending all my time looking for things I lost!

My husband just put shelves into my new closet and I spent all of last weekend going through my boxes and boxes of "stuff". I purged a lot of things! Lots of stuff I've held onto "just in case"! I consolidated things, got rid of excess. It felt so good to get to the last box of stuff and then look around and see it! I put everything in the closet. I want to make pretty labels for all my storage boxes, but that will come soon! I'm so excited!

P.S. The inspiration for "purging" was CLEAN SWEEP the TLC TV show!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-14-2005, 05:50 PM   #28  
Embossing Fanatic

I want to get organized because I don't have much time for scrapbooking and the little time I have must be worthy and pleasure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 07-29-2005, 07:42 PM   #29  
Matboard Maniac

1 -I want to get organized because...........I would like to be able to scrap at a moment's notice and I want my bedroom (where I work) to be a peaceful place.

2 - Being organized is going to help change my life because.........I will be able to take advantage of small snippets of time and make some progress towards the scrapping goal I set for myself this year; plus enjoy my hobby!

3 -I was finally actually able to clean my work surface and put it all away. :-)

4 - This was a great idea! I read this thread about a month ago and made this box--I LOVE it. I put my regularly used adhesives in here, along with some basics like silver and gold mini brads, an adhesive pick-up square, post-its, my "handmade by" stamp, a dye black ink pad, and a pencil sharpener. Underneath is my trimmer (just a bit too big for the box, lol).

5 -I'm actually not doing this part. I'm putting everything away after I finish a project. If I have to stop working on a project for the day, all the parts goes in its craft keeper folder. I have to do this; my space is too small, and if I began a put away box, I'd never actually put stuff away, and it would overflow, and I wouldn't be able to find the stuff that I put in the put away box, lol.

Ann
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 08-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Default alright one day for week 1, another for week 2

Well I am making some headway. I just finished week 1 yesterday and am on to week 2. or at least I thought. I just looked in the kitchen at my desk and there are a bunch of dirty dishes left by DH. That non craft items in space is going to be a killer for me.
Anyway I want to get organized because...........I want it easier to find everything when I need it, I want the place looking nice not only for visiters but for ourselves as well, and if I leave I mess my two year old will make it worse.
Being organized is going to help change my life because... I'll know where things are, I'll be faster and be able to get more done in the time when Lavinia is sleeping. I will be happier, my husband will be happier.
Reply With Quote Likes