Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 05-29-2005, 02:24 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Protecting Stamps with Versamark??

Hi,
I read some time ago about inking up stamps that are not in use with versamark as a sort of rubber protectant?? Do I remember this right?
Wanted to know if anyone inks their stamps with versamark in between uses and if they have noticed any positive long term or...short term I guess... effects/advantages to doing this. Not just speculation, but really, if you've done it and found it to be of worth. I don't have that many stamps but would like to keep what I have in the best possible condition, I'm not expecting to have as much oppurtunity to stamp during summer what with the kids home and making me crazy...crazier that is.
So, if you have inked ur stamps with versamark and let dry in between uses and found this a good way to keep them in near new condition, please let me know, so I can start inking all my sets or not worry about it anymore.
Thanks for your input and advice!!

Kristen
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2005, 03:22 PM   #2  
Mad Swapper

Nooooo! This is a myth. Versamark actually eats your stamps. I had one favourite stamp that I only ever used with Versamark and so never cleaned it and the stamp is totally ruined now. The Versamark left pitted holes in the rubber, and has also left behind a sticky residue that I can't clean off and I've tried everything. Versamark is highly destructive to rubber. You want to clean them well immediately after using it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittenkisses
Hi,
I read some time ago about inking up stamps that are not in use with versamark as a sort of rubber protectant?? Do I remember this right?
Wanted to know if anyone inks their stamps with versamark in between uses and if they have noticed any positive long term or...short term I guess... effects/advantages to doing this. Not just speculation, but really, if you've done it and found it to be of worth. I don't have that many stamps but would like to keep what I have in the best possible condition, I'm not expecting to have as much oppurtunity to stamp during summer what with the kids home and making me crazy...crazier that is.
So, if you have inked ur stamps with versamark and let dry in between uses and found this a good way to keep them in near new condition, please let me know, so I can start inking all my sets or not worry about it anymore.
Thanks for your input and advice!!

Kristen

View My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2005, 03:51 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've occasionally forgotten to clean a stamp after using Versamark. It makes the rubber hard and it's difficult to clean off. I wouldn't intentionally leave it on my stamps. The best thing you can do for them is keep 'em clean, don't stack stamps on top of each other, and ALWAYS keep them out of direct sunlight. They should last your lifetime.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2005, 06:22 PM   #4  
Rubber Obsessor

Thankyou!!
Anyone else with some comments?
I swear, I totally remember someone saying to do this!!
Of course, not being a patient woman, and assuming WRONG, I went and inked all the dang stamps!!
How do you get the dang versamark off of them now that it's dried on there?
Has no one else heard this, I must be going nuts!
Thankyou for telling me how to keep them newer, I seriously LOVE my stamps, it's so pathetic, but sometimes, I get teary when I look at some of my favorites, weird, but true!!
So, please, anyone else?
I so appreciate ur reading this and responding and setting me straight!
Thanks,
Kristen
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2005, 07:02 PM   #5  
Pearl-ExPert

I agree with the other ladies. It changes the rubber. Even after scrubbing and scrubbing them with a cleaner, they aren't the same. Using a rubber conditioner is best. (I know Stamp N Mist is a cleaner/conditioner)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2005, 07:04 PM   #6  
Pearl-ExPert

BTW, I think I remember the thread you are referring to. After I read the advice about using Versamark, there were many responses contradicting it. Mine included.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-29-2005, 08:33 PM   #7  
Forum Fanatic

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts
Default cleaning versamark off of stamps

The best and easiest way to clean versamark off of the rubber is to use baby wipes -- the very best ones I've found are Diaparene and Chubs (neither of which I have been able to find in the stores for the last few months :mad: ). A good quality wipe will clean the versamark (and metallic inks as well) off the rubber without foaming and without leaving fibers behind.
I'm still searching for a replacement for my favorite brands of wipes -- anyone have good luck with other brands for cleaning rubber?
Susy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 12:55 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

The only time I use versamark to protect my stamp is when I'm doing the Faux Metal technique. The versamark protects the stamp from the heated embossing powder. After, I clean my stamp well, using my SU Mist and scrubber. I wouldn't use Versamark to protect the stamp, otherwise. I've also heard it's a good idea to versamark just before using STAZON, that way it's easier to clean the stamp . . . but I've never tried it.

My Little Blog . . .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 03:01 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boss
I'm still searching for a replacement for my favorite brands of wipes -- anyone have good luck with other brands for cleaning rubber?
Susy
Susy - Don't go with Huggies - they leave fibers behind. I've been very pleased with the Pampers wipes ( I use the Lavendar version because I'd read somewhere to use a variety w/o lanolin). Pampers seem to work very well.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 06:06 AM   #10  
Mad Swapper

I think you may be thinking of using versamark to protect your stamps when using bleach to stamp. You stamp first to coat ther rubber with versamark, then into the bleach, then stamp. I too agree with cleaning the stamp as soon as possible!

Last edited by auntie65; 05-30-2005 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: error in method
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 05-30-2005, 07:09 AM   #11  
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:

Originally Posted by auntie65
I think you may be thinking of using versamark to protect your stamps when using bleach to stamp. You stamp first to coat ther rubber with versamark, then into the bleach, then stamp. I too agree with cleaning the stamp as soon as possible!

Thank you so much for sharing this tip with us. I have been a little freaked out about ruining my stamps with the bleach So I haven't tried the technique.

www.splitcoaststampers.com/go/ouangel81
Reply With Quote Likes