Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 09-05-2004, 10:36 AM   #1  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of scanner do you have?

I'm putting a scanner on my christmas list, and want some advice...
What kind of scanner do you have? Do you like it?
Are the cheap-o ones okay for just scanning cards?
What else do you use your scanner for?
TIA!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 10:41 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a refurbished HP scanjet 3570c. It has an 8 1/2 x 11 bed size and a built in negative scanner. It was on sale for less than $40 about a year and a half ago.

If you're just scanning card for the internet, you really don't need anything very expensive because most of your cards will only be scanned at 72 dpi. Having the capacity to do up to 300 dpi is nice, though (that's the resolution of most printers) and included on most scanners, even the inexpensive ones.

The only reason you'd probably be spending more money is if you wanted a bigger bed, say legal or 12 x 12 size.
Heather, proud SCS member #132
Gallery
- Blog

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 10:41 AM   #3  
Rubber Obsessor

I have an HP PSC 2210 all in one. (printer, scanner, fax, copier)
I bought it last year in Staples with a rebate, and have gotten lots of use out of it. I honestly use the copier function more than the scanner.

It uses 2 different ink cartidges (black and color)

Over all, I am very happy with it.

**I did have a scanner a few years ago that I bought in Costco around Christmas time. I think it was under $100, and I did get good use out of that one at the time.

Good Luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 10:43 AM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

I have a Cannon, Canoscan N67OU
I actually bought it refurbished from the factory, very cheap, and have been using it steadily for 2 years, which isn't bad because I only paid around $40.00 for it. So far so good. My next electronic related purchase is going to be a digital camera

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 10:44 AM   #5  
Stazon Splitcoast

There are lots of fairly inexpensive (in the $100-150 range) 3-in-1 machines out there that scan/copy/print. There's a currently thread around here somewhere that talks about an HP model (I think it's "Great Finds" from Julie HRR) that everyone seemed to like.

I have to get a new one, mine died on me and I MISS it. I have a digital camera but it's more of a pain. I also use the copy function ALL THE TIME during the school year.

Have fun shopping around!

Betsy
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 10:44 AM   #6  
Inking Addict

I've got an epson perfection 3170 Photo. I love it It is great for scanning cards. It also has an attachment for scanning slides and for scanning negatives. I use my scanner for scanning all my old photos and then I restore them with Photoshop. I'm currently going through all my grandma's old photos and scanning them. My bf is going throug his family photos as well. The epson is really nice because you can place several photos onto the scanning bed and as long as none of the sides are touchign the edges it will automatically detect the edges of the pictures and scan them all as separate files, and crop them to the edges. Not sure if that makes sense or not! But the colors are usually pretty true and I love that feature cuz it makes scanning all those pictures go wayyy faster!
Hope that helps! (btw, my bf works in IT yeah hes a computer nerd ;) so I tend to just buy whatever he tells me to buy, thats what he recommended)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 10:57 AM   #7  
Mad Swapper

Default What kind of scanner do you have?

I have a HP psc 750, it's an all in one printer, copier, scanner. I really like it and use it alot. I use the scanner to load my pics in my gallery and the copier almost everyday to make up flyers and my newsletters and specials from SU! The software that came with makes it very easy and user friendly to do what you want to do with the psc. It was a little more expensive, but well worth the cost.
LeAne SCS#2819 & Grandma to Lindsey!
[email protected]
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 11:08 AM   #8  
Kookie Creator

Hi Dawn!

We have a simple Canon that's several years old - we paid about $99 when we got it. I actually use my digital camera to take pictures of cards, so we don't use it that often, BUT, it's very useful for scanning old photos! We have borrowed photo albums from parents and grandparents, and now we have quite a collection of very old family photos that we wouldn't be able to have otherwise! I also have a friend that uses her scanner to scan everything - if she sees a picture in a magazine for instance, she immediately scans it, and just throws the magazine away. I'm trying to start using my scanner more often for organizing ideas like that!

Hope Santa brings you your gift!
Billie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 11:14 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni
SU Creative Crew Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Canon Canoscan LiDE 30. I paid around $80 from Canon and I love it. You can email your scan right from the scanner. It's a year old and still going strong.

My website/blog - JanTink.com
Facebook | JanTink
Etsy Store - JanTink

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:03 PM   #10  
Gabfest Goddess

I have an HP Scanjet 3970. The scan bed is approximately the same size as a sheet of legal paper (eight and a half by fourteen). It also has the ability to scan from negatives - has a build in thingy to hold them. I have not used that feature yet!

Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending. ~Author Unknown
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:11 PM   #11  
Mad Swapper

We have an HP ScanJet 5200C that I bought several years ago. The only problem I have is trying to upgrade it since we now run Windows XP. I can still use the sanner, though, just can't get the program running that I should be using. Such a pain.
Anyway, I love my scanner and use it quite often. The majority of the use is for my cards, but once in a while we use it for photos or documents. I once used it to scan pages from a quilting book my MIL had bought!
Oh, yeah, one other down side of our scanner: my husband absolutely cannot stand the sound it makes! It doesn't bother me, but to him it is equivelant to fingernails on chalkboard!

www.cafemom.com/home/VoreisTwins
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 09-05-2004, 06:31 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I HAD an HP PSC (printer scanner copier) #2110, paid $145 when purchased with my new Apple eMac. Great quality printing, scanning, copying, can enlarge and reduce, etc. but would frequently paper jam.

Then, when it was 7-8 mos. old it claimed "paper jam" permanently, and ceased to function at all in any mode. Aside from the paper jamming, I loved it until it finally "froze" for lack of a better word. It was no longer under warranty and getting help from HP is a pain in the BUTT!!!! They will charge you $20 just to tell you whether or not you should just buy a new one.....argh.

This was my 3rd HP product, and I'd had trouble with all 3.

I swore I'd never buy another HP product after the #2110 did the above, but I was recently at Target and they had the HP PSC 1210 for only $88.95 ....

Seeing as I'd have to pay at least that to get either a new scanner OR a printer, I figured I'd give HP one more shot at that price. the #1210 is "noisy", has only an 8 1/2 x 11 size scanner bed. but I never need to scan anything larger anyway. Cannot reduce, but can enlarge to "fit to page" (not customizable). Lacks some sophistication and other upgraded functions. However, I can scan something, import it into my graphics program and resize it from there, so this may not be a big issue. Certainly wastes a lot less paper doing it that way, too, rather than reducing or enlarging in copy function anyway!

I've only had it since Thursday. I'm going to run it for a month and then decide if it's worth keeping or return and upgrade to the #1310, which may have a few more features? It was only $10-20 more ...

Both models (1210 & 1310) are very compact for PSC (3-in-one type) machines.
Reply With Quote Likes